Portfolio

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Cars & Coffee – 5/14/11


I almost skipped this weekend's show again, as I had to get up to the Rose Bowl to help my company at Bimmerfest 2011 and didn't know that I wanted to cover the extra miles and get up any earlier than I needed to. Whenever I feel that urge to stay in bed I know I have to get up because I'm bound to miss something special. This weekend was another prime example.

The first thing I saw in the lot was a yellow Carrera GT that for some reason nobody else seemed to notice. As I got closer I realized why – there was a Ferrari 330 P4 parked in front of it. Now, I don't think I need to remind any of you, but the P4 is one of the most valuable and beautiful Ferraris of all time. It also happens to be my favorite car, period. I knew this had to be a replica, but even a replica is rare enough to draw a massive crowd, and this one happened to be a really good one. It was one of the first cars put together by Jim Carpenter back in 1990. It is based on a 1979 Ferrari 308 GT4 and took about 3000 man hours to build.

Although I wasn't lined up to get the shot, one of the Superformance Ford GT40s rolled past, recreating one of the most famous Ferrari vs Ford matchups ever. I don't know whether or not those in attendance knew this was a replica, but that didn't take much away from seeing it parked right in our own show lot on this gloomy Saturday morning. With D-Types, GT40s, Daytona Coupes, GTOs, 906 Porsches and now this 330, Cars & Coffee could run its own class in Monterey for the Historics. Throw in all of the modern race cars that have shown over the years and we could probably do a Le Mans 24 hour class as well.

Next to the Ferrari was a Millenworks LUV, almost the exact opposite of the 330 P4. Big and brutish, this 8,000-lb beast looked like it ate cars like that for breakfast. Tucked away in the back corner of the lot was a gorgeous blue Lamborghini Countach 5000S. Joe Sackey brought it out and we thanked him profusely. What an incredible car in an absolutely amazing color. A new Murci SV and a Gallardo Superleggera were other noteworthy Lambos. A new Lexus CT200h was there, but I think most people assumed it was a Mazda that had been left in the lot over the weekend. One of the rarest pairings of cars your likely to ever see were both done up in green – an Isuzu VehiCROSS and a Panoz Esperante.

My buddy Patrick was at the show, showing off his latest creation – the Olloclip. Its the most intuitive add-on lens set for the iPhone 4. I'm sure he'll do extremely well with it. I had a chance to check it out and it literally takes two seconds to get it working. And the range you get with two simple lenses is amazing.

One of the things people might have wanted to shoot with their Olloclip was a bright green Ford Focus RS that shouldn't be in the States. Well, technically, it is here officially, but Ford doesn't sell them here. When you realized the driver was rally star Ken Block, who drives Fords for his day job, it made a little more sense. Ken himself was there, shaking hands, posing for pics and even signing people's cars, shirts, hats and just about anything else they thrust in front of him. Nice guy.

I'll have a lot more to say about Block in my new StopTech blog next week. Speaking of which, anybody who follows me on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, fotki or wherever...should be following StopTech (and Power Slot and Centric Parts) on Twitter and Facebook as well as reading their blogs – StopTech and The Brake Room. A lot of it might seem familiar, but there will be a lot more about brakes and racing and high performance cars. Check it out.

Direct link to this week's photos

No comments:

Post a Comment